Monday, December 3, 2012

College Students In Their Natural Habitat

After observing students all day I have come to a conclusion. They are completely addicted to technology! You probably could not pry a cell
phone away from the students on the AWC campus. It is as if they have a primal instinct to check their phones for messages every second.
Today I saw a quite ridiculous scene. I looked all around my math class and every student had their cell phone laying out. The crazy thing is that within a ten minute time period no one picked up their phone or even used it. It was pretty bizarre because why even have the cell phone out in the first place? During the same period I could hear the little voom-vooms of a vibrating text message constantly buzzing.


This image is from guardian.co.uk
  The courtyard and grassy areas, I think, see the most technology use on campus. Students that are walking alone are almost always listening to music or tapping away at their phones. It is more likely that larger groups walking together won't be using any devices to disconnect themselves from others.
I believe headphones and music players see the most action with the student athletes. There is not one minute I do not see an athlete with headphones,or the popular Beats by Dr. Dre, not connected to their skull. That must be a requirement to play sports at AWC: must always listen to music. Athletes will even disconnect themselves in the cafeteria. Even with all of their peers around them they will not release the headphones. I'm sure an argument could be made that they are being held hostage. I love listening to my music, but I think I enjoy people a lot more.
After all of this observation I understand why older generations cannot connect to us: we only relate to our cell phones and computers! Maybe there should be a class on how to wind down from all of that technology use and get back to the basics of entertainment like books and actually conversing with other humans.

This video is from YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment